The History

Looking at the modern buildings, it’s hard to believe Colfe’s School is one of the oldest schools in London. Originally established by John Glyn in 1574, the school was re-founded in 1652 by the Reverend Abraham Colfe, Vicar of Lewisham. When Colfe died in 1657, he took the enlightened step of entrusting the School to the Worshipful Company of Leathersellers’ in the City of London.  Colfe’s original vision was to educate the children of “the hundred of Blackheath” and, although today our pupils travel to the school from all parts of South East London, a strong sense of local community remains, with most of the pupils coming from the Boroughs of Lewisham, Bromley, Bexley and Greenwich.

The old School in Lewisham

The School on the Hill, as it was known locally, stood on Lewisham Hill until 1944 when it was badly bombed. The pupils were evacuated to schools in Tunbridge and Somerset and then spent many years in temporary accommodation before the school re-opened in 1964 on the site it occupies today. Originally a grammar school for boys, Colfe’s became independent in 1977, assuring the continuance of its tradition of excellence. The school became fully co-educational in 1999.

The Club

The Old Colfeian’s Association was founded in 1885, with the object of “keeping together Old  Colfeians and providing sports and social facilities for its members”. Established at Horn Park in  1902, the spacious clubhouse was built in 1930 and has undergone regular improvement to give us  the top class facility that we have today. The Club is one of the best and oldest of its type in the country and  is situated a short distance from the school.

In 2005 membership of the Club was opened to the public and the Club acquired charitable  status. At the same time it was renamed the Colfeian Sports Club to reflect this new status.  In 2012 following the purchase of the freehold by The Leathersellers on behalf of the School, it was agreed by the School to have the Club run through a Limited Company and thus the formation of Colfeian Grounds Limited.

Colfeian Grounds Limited

Mission statement

To promote sporting, leisure & educational activities at Horn Park for the benefit of current and former Colfeians and the wider local community


  • To offer a broader range of activities within the existing facilities at Horn Park
  • To enhance the existing facilities at Horn Park and to develop new ones
  • To establish Horn Park as the centre for the sporting and other leisure activities of all Colfeians
  • To encourage the increased use of Horn Park by all parts of the local community irrespective of age, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation
  • To increase the use of & revenues at Horn Park to help achieve the objectives set out above.